In the last week, community service has been celebrated on the Monaro and at NSW/ACT ceremonies.
Jasmin Statham-Smith , a former student of St Patrick’s Cooma and a current student at St Mary MacKillop College, became the recipient of the Senior Snowy Monaro Region Youth Awards Person of the Year 2018. There were nine categories for this award and Jasmin took out the top honours.
The criteria for this award required the recipient to be:
- A positive leader and role model within the community
- A generous volunteer to help others
- Selfless and dedicated, expecting nothing in return
- Positively affecting the community and;
- Demonstrative of true dedication and passion to their cause, whether it be within the workplace, through community service, by overcoming personal difficulties or serving and empowering others.
Jasmin was also nominated for the NSW/ACT Young Achievers Award in a Sydney ceremony, where there were over 200 nominees. In front of the Deputy Premier, The Hon John Barilaro, and in a room filled with sponsors, judges, guests and VIPs, Jasmin was announced by The Hon. Ray Williams, Minister for Multiculturalism and Minister for Disability Services as a semi-finalist.
Jasmin credits her motivation for community service from the formative work done at her two schools, where there is a strong focus on reaching out to others.